Baptist church may meet in a relatively new building but in fact
it has been in existence for over 130 years. The opening of the
new building is merely a recent event in the history of the Church
that has proved God's goodness down through the years.
Church began life in a small building in Pepper Street, Chester
in July 1871. From this small group has grown the oldest surviving
baptist church in Chester. After a few years numbers increased
significantly as over 90 new members were added. With this
increase in numbers the congregation outgrew the small chapel
and in 1875 a building fund was opened to save for a brand
Park Baptist Church
some searching, a site in Grosvenor Park Road was
purchased and work on constructing a much larger
and far more practical building began on 3rd June
1879. Amazingly the whole job was complete in under
12 months and Grosvenor Park Baptist Church was
officially opened on 13th July 1880.
Church thrived for several decades. However, from the
late 1950s a road building and demolition programme
resulted in large numbers leaving the locality and
in effect translated an urban area into an inner ring
road. During this time the Church was often without
a minister and declined in numbers, at one time sinking
to single figures.
1970 a new minister arrived who focused the fellowship
on evangelism. In the late 70s a decision was made
to move to one of the city suburbs. A number of promising
sites were found but for one reason or another they
In September 1979 the Church began dialogue with Chester Zoo about a
plot of land in Flag Lane South in Upton which eventually went to auction
later that year. The auction was remarkable. Bidding for the plot was
quite hectic but when our maximum offer was put forward there were no
counter bids and the land became ours.
move to Upton
Church of about 35 members moved to Upton in September
1980, changing its name to Upton Baptist Church in
the process. Meetings were held for some years in Upton
Manor (now Upton Heath) Junior School (picture to the
right), which neighboured the building plot, while
the old building was sold and the new one designed
The building was carried out in three phases: firstly
the base; then the 'A' framework, which was pre-fabricated
in Scandinavia; and finally the interior. In the Summer
of 1987 the work was complete and the first
worship service held in September of that year.
frame under construction
the finished building in 1987
now . . .
newness of the building hides the fact that here we belong
to a much older fellowship of God's people. Over the years
the Church has been a living testimony to God's leading
and guidance through the times of decline as well as
times of plenty.
The regular congregation
is currently around 80-90 people, about two thirds
of whom are formal members.